Experienced as a life and business coach and consultant, Sandra Schiff offers a range of coaching services to businesses and individuals through her work as president of Health Mate, Inc. One of the core responsibilities of leadership coaches, like Sandra Schiff, is equipping leaders with the tools they need to coach others. Business leaders may be interested in the following coaching tips:
1. Place more responsibility on the people who ask questions. Instead of providing straight answers, probe them to find out what they think would be the best course of action. You can then provide guidance based on the response.
2. Avoid negativity wherever possible, even in cases where employees are underperforming. Instead, focus on what needs to be done to create positive change. A report published by the Society for Human Resource Management found that 67 percent of respondents believe respectful treatment is a very important factor in job satisfaction.
3. Make sure all employees are appreciated for the efforts they put forth. Expressing appreciation helps to motivate employees.
In recognition of her commitment to organizational effectiveness and leadership coaching, Sandra Schiff received the Leadership America Award from the National Women’s Organization for Leaders in 1996. Here are some fundamental tips Sandra Schiff and other leadership coaches implement to develop others:
– Build relationships. A leader should be someone the team can trust. A good relationship is established if there is transparency from the leader and respect from the team.
– Acknowledge good performance. Good leadership is measured on the success of the team. By recognizing a positive skill or action, leaders are influencing individuals to emulate the same behavior.
– Provide assessment. Timely feedback helps employees attain a level of self-awareness. Assessment highlights areas where improvements crucial for quality performance can be made.
– Challenge thinking. Leaders should be able to read between the lines and provide alternative solutions. Brainstorming as a means of mapping out possibilities can be used to develop this skill.